My wedding F&B – Wedding BBQ, Signature drinks and more.
So a little while back, I stated that my next task was finalising our F&B (food & beverage) at the wedding, I am almost done, yay!
So, Adam and I pretty much decided that we wanted to stay away from the formal 3 course sit down meal and instead opt for a BBQ buffet and live cooking stations. Some people may ask why, well, here are our reasons.
- Many of our guests will be travelling from the UK and taking the chance to have an extended holiday in Dubai, we are having an outdoor ceremony and dinner, so why stick to formalities? The sun will be shining, the weather (I hope) will be warm and breezy in November, the perfect chance for a BBQ.
- A lot of my family are vegetarians or eat fish only, offering a Buffet BBQ gives a large selection of alternatives for each guest. Lots of veg, fish and meat options so everyone is covered and we can avoid the problem of fussy eaters and special requests.
- Adam and I are both big fans of BBQ’s.
So, with that in mind, we did have our concerns, ie: Queues, Smokey air, etc. But with the location and more than one serving station, it should not be too much of an issue. Also, Adam and I wanted to avoid the mix mash you sometimes find here with buffets and BBQ’s, ie: Arab style, next to Indian style, next to Italian :S. We wanted a clear distinction and have kept it pretty much BRITISH.
Before the ceremony while guests are waiting, we will gave some gorgeous refreshing pitchers including our favourite summer drinks, these I will keep a secret. I did not want to serve alcohol to guests on an empty stomach and want to avoid any early drunkenness, so I have planned it all carefully.
Cocktail hour canapés and signature drink:
Prior to the dinner and speeches we will have a cocktail/photography hour and here we will serve some tasty canapés, along with our signature signature cocktail, fusing both of our favourite tipples. We haven’t gone overboard with the canapés as we want people to enjoy the BBQ, so we have chosen light, fresh options that are not to obscure for the fussy ones.
Dinner and speeches:
So, what’s on the BBQ/Buffet menu?
Well, I am not going to reveal all, but it will include:
- Cold salads, including some delicious sounding alternatives to your standard greens, such as roasted pear, rocket and stilton cheese, European tabbouleh, etc.
- Corn on the cob, jacket potatoes and relishes (my favs)
- Maple glazed salmon with caramelized root vegetables, slow roasted lamb, Garlic roasted herbed mini white potatoes, etc
- On the BBQ/ live cooking stations will be: Lamb, chicken skewers and LIVE fish n Chips
Yep, I was a bit like errrrrrrrrr ‘Fish n Chips??’ at first, but after asking a few of my guests their thoughts, we decided to go with the flow. They will be mini Fish N Chips, and well, it is very ‘British’
I think there is more than enough to please everyone, and I don’t want anything to go to waste, so doggy bags all round for us if there is! We will also start our alcohol package at this time. Basically our guests will be fed and watered all the time and for the first hour of our reception party, there will be alcohol served, thereafter it will be a cash bar with special rates.
TIP: I have also budgeted in food for my onsite suppliers, as I have read on various blogs and magazines, to keep this in mind.
TIP: I am going to cut my cake before any of the dinner, speeches start, so it can be sliced up and served with coffee after dinner, this also allows for good light for photos and avoids the cake sitting there outdoors and sweeting. I have checked on various blogs and etiquette sites and this seems pretty common these days.
Anyway, I have been very impressed with my venue The Desert Palm retreat, Dubai and how they have personalised our wedding menu, signature drink and have basically created a bespoke menu just for our wedding.
My mouth is watering just writing this and to be honest, I really hope I get to sample some of the above, because knowing me, I will be so preoccupied in ensuring everyone else is happy, that I will probably forget to eat and end up getting a take away, he-he!
Ciao for now
Back next Thursday.